Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Stop Complaining and Take Action!

So I have to say that one of the things that drives me crazy is when people tell me all their problems and why their life sucks but when I give them opportunities and tools to change that they ignore it and continue to complain.

I have an acquaintance that has the same conversation every time she sees me. It goes like this: "My health sucks, my marriage sucks, my husband spends our money frivolously and doesn't help with anything. I have no money and need some. I'm so tired all the time."

Now numerous times I have provided opportunities to get into a business that would make her more money, I've offered to help her assess her skills, I've given her the tools to shift her mindset. My frustration is that when I offer these opportunities there is always an excuse on why she can't follow through. She's in a bad mood, she's tired, etc. I have stopped offering. I listen to the rant for a few minutes and politely move on. I choose not to let her pessimistic, miserable attitude leach onto me.

If you are complaining about things in your life that you don't like, change your story. Take action on the opportunities that arise and move out of the place you say you don't want to be in. If you are staying in that place and repeating daily to whomever will listen that you are miserable and everything sucks than you are just bringing more of that onto yourself.

Shift your mindset. Find the good in your life and change what you don't like. One of my all time favorite movies is "Fried Green Tomatoes" and if you haven't' seen it you should! Throughout the story one of the main characters starts out miserable and as she bonds with this new friend she starts making changes that she was afraid of making before. She starts to feel great about herself and you see the change.

I love seeing the change in my clients when I coach them. I love helping them, watching the action they are taking and celebrating those wins one by one with them. It's why I do what I do.

So before you retell someone the story of your sucky life, rethink that and instead tell the story the way you want it. Look for the good and focus on that instead of the bad. Let me know how it works for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment